Wordplay is a rules light roleplaying game that uses descriptive phrases and applies them directly into the action by giving the phrase a value, which is converted into a number of six sided dice to throw. Wordplay is very easy to play and is designed to be used in any genre that you wish to explore.
Wordplay features the following:
- Free flowing character creation using descriptive phrases and words called ‘traits’ which are then split between Body, Mind and Soul categories.
- A fun dice building mechanic. Describe what your character is doing and make use of as many advantages as possible to build your hand of dice.
- Roll your dice and get as many successes as possible – highest wins. Only the dice that land on the table count!
- Create goals for your characters and drive them forward to succeed.
- Pre-designed ‘themes’ – ready made settings to inspire you to create and play straight away
Wordplay focuses on how descriptions of characters affect play at your gaming table. Instead of numerous mechanistic modifiers the game presents narrative opportunities which are translated into dice for your characters. It’s light, open and encourages story telling and vivid descriptions around the table. Wordplay is a six sided dice paradise, so a large number of six sided dice are needed to play.
Wordplay is available under a CC3.0 share attribute licence.
See a review of the game by Lev Lafayette on RPG.net.
“The fact that WordPlay manages to pack so much into a relatively short-book also boosts its substance value, making it an item of solid distinction.”
The game can be purchased in PDF format from our Drivethru RPG store